Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Memories of the Revolution: Saturday, end of January, 2011.

Diary Entry: The street lamps just went on. We are sitting on the porch, Mariamu, David, Ali and I. I do not really know what is going on becuase I do not have a radio or a TV, and I do not speak Arabic.

What I do know is that most of the men in the neighborhood have armed themselves with sticks and bats. I tried to take the children on a walk. Some Egyptian women asked where I was going. I said I was going to the market. They told me not to go. They told me to go home, lock the doors, and stay inside. They said bad men were coming. On the short walk I went on, I saw many clumps of both old and young men armed with sticks, bats and metal rods.

I do not know who the bad men are. I do not know if they are the military or the protestors, or someone else.

There was prison breakout because there are no police. The population is supporting the military. The military is maintaining security. There are military helicopters flying overhead.

The government has shut down the Internet and the cell phones. Hamid Ali called on my landline to make sure that I am okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment