Monday, September 12, 2011

Musical Interlude: Garden Party



At the beginning of the semester President Lisa Anderson had a garden party at the President's house. The President's house is located in Maadi, on Road 19. My taxi driver and my nanny and I dropped the children off at a friend's house. We then spent over half an hour trying to find the President's Residence. It is a beautiful villa, with an enormous gate, and spacious grounds. The party was for new faculty. I was invited because I did not get to attend the party last year. Tables and chairs were set up, like at a wedding. The chairs had beautiful cloth chair covers on them. The party was catered, and the food was really nice. There was a lot of seafood, and some tasty vermicelli. Most importantly, in my opinion, there was an open bar, with good wine. I made some new friends, like Professor Mohammed Al Masry and his wife Rania, and I saw some old friends, like Professor Kim Jackson. Anyway, I have not been able to get this song out of my head since then. Enjoy. ~WMB

Garden Party

- Artist: Rick Nelson
- peak Billboard position # 6 in 1972
- inspired by Rick's experience at a Madison Square Garden concert
- Words and Music by Rick Nelson

I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
No one recognized me, I didn't look the same

CHORUS
But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

People came from miles around, everyone was there
Yoko brought her walrus, there was magic in the air
'n' over in the corner, much to my surprise
Mr. Hughes hid in Dylan's shoes wearing his disguise

CHORUS

lott-in-dah-dah-dah, lot-in-dah-dah-dah

Played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came
No one heard the music, we didn't look the same
I said hello to "Mary Lou", she belongs to me
When I sang a song about a honky-tonk, it was time to leave

CHORUS

lot-dah-dah-dah (lot-dah-dah-dah)
lot-in-dah-dah-dah

Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode
Playing guitar like a-ringin' a bell and lookin' like he should
If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck
But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck

CHORUS

lot-dah-dah-dah (lot-dah-dah-dah)
lot-in-dah-dah-dah

'n' it's all right now, learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment