Friday, March 18, 2011

Amending the Egyptian Constitution Part 1

2:25 p.m.

There will be a referendum on amending the Egyptian constitution tomorrow. My gut instinct is to vote no. I went to a crash training course on this. I am feeling a little scared, but I think I will try to go to Tahrir Square to see what is going on there.

2:27 p.m.

I went to a lecture by Professor Mervat Abou Ouf on the amendments this week. My understanding is that there are eleven proposed amendments to the constitution. article 75, article 76, article 77, article 88, article 93, artucle 139, article 148, article 179, and article 189 (and two others).[Author's note, this was incorrect, there are nine amendments. I misunderstood. WMB] Dr. Mervat pointed out that there have only been four weeks to review the amendments. That alone is reason to vote against them. We discussed the amendments in class. I am going to write down her critiques tomorrow morning.

11:17 p.m.

I made it to Tahrir Square. I am so glad I made it. It was one of the peak experiences of my stay in Egypt. The energy on the square was incredibly positive. Many families were there with their children. The children were adorable and several children and adults had Egyptian colors and the Arabic symbol for no painted on their face. It seemed that all the protesters there supported the No vote. I saw no protesters organizing for a Yes vote. Somehow I ended up having my photo taken with soldiers, and getting an egyptian flag, and the Arabic character for "No" painted on my face.

I went with my Egyptian colleague Mark Mikhael. Check out his great column on Coptic Christians and Muslims, and how we are all Egyptians here: (http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/348932). Many thanks to him for helping me navigate the square and protecting me from the thugs who tried to steal my camera at the end of the night!

The soldiers seemed so calm and authoritative. Everyone wanted me to take their picture. I think they thought I was a reporter. Did I mention that at the end of the protest, everyone, including me, got down on their hands and knees and picked up trash so that the square was nice and clean again? Absolutely amazing. If that is not revolutionary, I do not know what is.

11:54 p.m.

For Al Jazeera's comprehensive review of the amendments, click here. . . .
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/spotlight/anger-in-egypt/2011/03/20113156309594476.html


No comments:

Post a Comment